Graduation at the University of Oregon is sneaking up! June 17th, 2019 is going to be one of the most important days of the year for a lot of students in Eugene. Graduating can be a super exciting time, but it can also be a little stressful when all of the important people in your life are coming to town and you don't know what to do! Eugene, Oregon is known as track town, but it also has amazing eateries and hard-to-beat views just minutes from campus. When your family comes to town, you want to make sure you can encompass as much of Eugene as possible in the short time you may have! For a lot of people, this may be their first time in the Pacific Northwest. Some of our favorite sights and scenes in Eugene are...
-Spencers Butte: Just 13 minutes from campus, this is definitely the most popular hike in Eugene. It is a moderate hike and only 30 minutes to the top, but once you get there you won't regret it! The view of Eugene and surrounding areas from the top is hard to beat.
- 5th Street Market: Just 4 minutes from campus, the 5th Street Market is your mini Portland right here in Eugene! They have a wide variety of clothing stores, flower markets, hipster eateries, and more.
- Autzen: What would a Eugene trip be without doing the famous walk from campus to Autzen? Show your family the bridge- and make sure to take a picture with your loved ones "throwing your O!"
- Sarver Winery- Located in the Wine Country of Eugene, Sarver is a comfy indoor and outdoor winery with a lot of seating and an even larger variety of wine. Their baguettes are also hard to beat!
- Portland: If you have the time, Portland is just two hours North of us and for family who have never been to a big city, Portland is unique in so many ways! Take them to Powell's Bookstore, or even the famous St. John's Bridge.
- Florence: Our coast may not be warm, but it is beautiful! Show them around our little beach town and get some great pictures, too.
Even though Eugene has a bunch of cool things to do right inside the city, you have to eat at some point! Avoid the places they may have at home and take them to some local places like...
-Track Town Pizza: Located directly across from campus, this pizza joint has been open since 1977 and is covered with University of Oregon memorabilia. You can order huge pizzas for the family, or personal pizzas if you tend to be a little bit more particular.
- Cornucopia: Just 4 minutes from campus, the burgers and fries you will find at this local joint is hard to beat. We recommend their Misty's Mac Attack Grilled Cheese or the Jeros Bacon and Cheese burger.
- Cornbread Cafe: What would a trip to Eugene be without a vegan hot spot? They have plenty of vegan options for your family (or yourself)!
- Lani Moku: What are the odds your family has had Hawaiian food before? This sweet spot in the Beer Garden is a popular spot to eat, even for Hawaiian locals!